The Emory Family Medicine Residency Program, fully accredited by ACGME since its inception in 1995, is a university-based three-year program in Atlanta, serving the urban and suburban diverse populations of Atlanta. Each year our program accepts a new intern class of 8 enthusiastic residents. Our sponsoring hospital is Emory University at Midtown, and our primary community-based residency training site is the Emory Family Medicine Center in Dunwoody, GA, which was designed to afford primary care practice and education in the patient-centered medical home model. Our community service activities include the Migrant Worker's Farmworker Project in Valdosta and Bainbridge, GA, community-based service-learning at the Good Samaritan Health Clinic, annual sports physicals, health fairs, and more! Our residents and faculty particpate in research in clinical, educational, and health systems innovation.
Our faculty are multi-lingual and have practice experience in Europe, Africa, and North and South America as well as military experience. Our residents are diverse and come from a variety of countries, backgrounds and cultures.We rotate through multiple medical and surgical subspecialties including urology, ENT, OB/GYN, ER, psychiatry, pediatrics, inpatient medicine, surgery, dermatology, geriatics, and sports medicine.
We have opportunities to rotate through various electives including podiatry, preventive cardiology, and urgent care. There are also opportunities to create your own elective of your choice according to your interests. We rotate at multiple facilities including at a level-one trauma center at Grady Memorial Hospital, a premier children's hospital in the Southeast at CHOA, and a top-nationally rated hospital at Emory University Hospital Midtown, as well as a well-integrated hospital system at the VA.
We have dedicated time weekly to participate in didactics and listen to guest and colleague speakers.
We have a new state-of-the art clinic designed especially for the patient-centered medical home, allowing space to conduct interdisciplinary and interprofessional team care and education, and chronic disease patient education seminars.
We conduct home visit for patients who have healthcare needs that require it.
Our faculty include Family Physicians who are also boarded in Preventive Medicine and have educational preparation in business administration, as well as Behavioral Medicine experts.
Wilderness Medicine activities
Musical and Arts festivals
Performing arts events
Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
Woodruff Arts Center
Fernback Museum and Science Center
Hiking, campin, rafting, in the beautiful North Georgia mountains
What certifications can you attain at our programs?
BLS/ACLS, ALSO, PALS, NRP, Advanced Wilderness Life Support
What procedures do we teach?
Our faculty and residents have published in or presented posters at:
Public Health Reports
Our residents have been elected to leadership positions:
National Conference of Special Constituencies (NCSC) and the Annual Leadership Forum
Health Care Ethics Consortium of Georgia
AAP/AAFP/ACOG/ACP and AMA leadership advocacy training in Washington DC.
Georgia Healthy Family Alliance (GHFA) Board Resident Trustee seat
Top 10 reasons to choose Emory:
3. Distinguished Faculty:
4. Emory Healthcare is largest and most comprehensive health system in Georgia. Since 1905, Emory Healthcare has been at the forefront of medicine, putting cutting-edge interventional research and technology into lifesaving action. Because of Emory's extensive network of cross-disciplinary relationships, patients and physicians have direct access to leading research, and students and researchers observe real-world applications for their studies and discoveries.
5. Emory Healthcare is the only health care system in Georgia to have hospitals ranked among the top 10 academic health systems in America for quality and accountability by the University HealthSystem Consortium (UHC). – Emory University Hospital (combined with Emory University Orthopaedics & Spine Hospital) ranked #2 and Emory University Hospital Midtown ranked #6. UHC ranks only academic medical centers that typically treat more complex patients than most hospitals, making their top ten list of the 101 participants reflects the ultimate assessment of organizational performance in setting the standard in quality and safety
6. Emory University School of Medicine, a component of Emory's Robert W. Woodruff Health Sciences Center, is ranked among the nation's finest institutions for biomedical education. The School of Medicine is located on the main Emory University campus in the Druid Hills section of Atlanta and in Emory-owned and affiliated medical facilities throughout metropolitan Atlanta and offers one of the largest postdoctoral training programs in the country. The Emory University School of Medicine Residency Training Program has more than 1,000 residents and fellows in more than 80 residency/fellowship training programs.
7. Location, Location, Location :Emory's peaceful campus is part of the energetic Atlanta metropolitan area, which is home to more than five million people and a diversity of cultural, social, entertainment, shopping and recreational options. We enjoy four distinct seasons with temperate weather most of the school year. Emory's one of the southernmost schools among the nation's top-ranked universities. Drive a couple of hours to the Smoky and Blue Ridge mountains, or take a half-day's road trip to Florida, Georgia and South Carolina beaches. The Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport provides ready global access. Dozens of countries maintain consular, trade or chamber of commerce offices in Atlanta.
8. Emory's affiliates and partnerships offer an extensive variety of opportunities in clinical care, education, research and community service such as Grady Memorial Hospital, Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, Atlanta Veteran's Administration Medical Center, US Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Wesley Woods Geriatric Center, Sports and Spine Center and Hospital, Atlanta Clinical and Translational Science Institute, Georgia Center for Oncology Research and Education, Georgia Research Alliance and Georgia Institute of Technology
9. Emory's School of Medicine ranked 16th nationally in NIH dollars received, the school is known for its research and treatment in heart disease, cancer, neurosciences, transplantation, infectious disease, orthopaedics, renal disease, ophthalmology, and geriatrics. The School of Medicine, a component of Emory's Robert W. Woodruff Health Sciences Center, is ranked among the nation's finest institutions for biomedical education and offers one of the largest postdoctoral training programs in the country. with more than 1,000 residents and fellows in more than 80 residency/fellowship training programs.
10. Atlanta and surrounding cities offer year round outdoor activities, cultural and sporting events, international cuisine and a relatively low cost of living compared to other large cities
Enjoy learning about Atlanta and Georgia at the following link: About Atlanta
For infomation about housing, visit the Emory Graduate Medical Education website at: http://med.emory.edu/gme/housestaff/transportation_emory_card.html
Emory is a destination university whose faculty and residents provide comprehensive care and compassion to our patients. Emory is known as a national leader in teaching and research with more than 1000 residents and fellows in academic training programs. The Emory Family Medicine Residency Program is in the Division of Family Medicine in the Department of Family and Preventive Medicine.
The Emory Family Medicine Residency Program (EFMRP) began in 1995 and has been a fully accredited ACGME Residency program since inception. The EFMRP moved into a new ‘state of the art” Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) with fully integrated EMR in August 2010. In partnership with the Georgia Academy of Family Practice (GAFP) and TransforMed, we are shaping the changing face of healthcare delivery and preparing the future generation of Family Physicians to practice in the PCMH model . We are proud that our residents have won multiple national and regional awards for leadership, scholarly projects, and service.
Our residents are active in the Georgia Academy of Family Physicians and serve on the Board of Directors . Additionally, our residents have represented the GAFP as the resident delegate to the National Conference for Residents and Students in Family Medicine, and have won the GAFP Resident of the Year award in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2008, 2012. The Family Medicine residents participate in scholarly activities during their residency training, and have submitted posters at the GAFP annual scientific assembly, and have won first place in 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2009,and 2012. They have been selected to present at National Meetings, as well as published in peer review journals. Routinely our residents have applied, been accepted to, and successfully completed Fellowships in Geriatrics, Sports Medicine, Maternal Fetal Medicine, Faculty Development, Preventive Medicine, and Occupational Medicine on completion of the Emory Family Medicine residency program.
Not only do our residents and faculty encourage academic excellence, we also strive to demonstrate compassionate care through community service. Our residents cared for patents that came to Atlanta immediately after Hurricane Katrina, and also cared for victims of the Haitian disaster. Our residents and faculty participate in the annual Inter-professional Team Migrant Worker’s Service Learning Project in South Georgia for two weeks each summer, caring for Latino and Haitian workers and their families. Faculty members also participate in medical mission trips such as one to Haiti scheduled for June 2013, Atlanta clinics such as the Good Samaritan Health Center for the most medically underserved populations, and provide sports medicine physicals to local high schools. We touch families on a local and international level.
Our residents receive excellent training in all areas of Family Medicine. The sponsoring hospital Emory University Hospital Midtown ranked 10th in Academic Medical Centers in the United States in 2011. Our residents also rotate at Grady Memorial Hospital for Pediatrics, Obstetrics, and ICU experience. Residents are trained in Cardiology, Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Psychiatry, and the Family Medicine Service at Emory University Hospital Midtown. Our Pediatric Ward rotation is completed at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, a referral center for the whole Southeast. Our Geriatrics rotation is experienced at the Atlanta Veteran’s Administration Medical Center.
In addition to a well-seasoned faculty, the best teachers of any resident are the patients we encounter. Grady Memorial Hospital and Emory University Hospital Midtown are both living Harrison’s textbook of medicine, as are our clinic patients. Our residents have an awesome educational experience, and when they graduate, they are well equipped to perform the full scope of Family Medicine services independently at the level of a Board Certified Physician.
Atlanta is a diverse, multicultural city, with an incredible variety of attractions, from world class sports, arts and entertainment to large green spaces and natural terrain. The Georgia Aquarium is the largest in the world, and is located within walking distance of the sponsoring hospital, as is the World of Coca Cola, and the Fox Theatre.
1 Over 1200 applicants for our 8 intern spots each year.
2. Diverse faculty from all parts of the US, Europe, Canada, & Africa
3. Faculty include one of "Top Docs" for Family Medicine in Atlanta and US
4. Seven of the Family Mededicine faculty have an MPH
5. Three of the Family Medicine Faculty are double board-certified
6. Facultyhave previous experience in private practice, community hospitals, rural practices, university medical centers, & urban practices
7. Our residency program enjoys a diverse group of residents fom all over US, Africa, Asia, Middle East, Asian subcontinent, Europe, & Canada
8. Two of our faculty are Behavior Medicine specialists (licensed and certified counselors)